Partial closing

Ask general questions about the software
sonicviz

Partial closing

#1 Postby sonicviz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:45 am

Hi,
I'm using v2 (recently bought) and looking at the feature list on the original thread:

10. It will be possible to choose how to work with positions - to open new positions or to partially close single position.

I can't seem to partially close a position.
I tried opening a 0.3 sell position with a market order, then a pending 0.1 buy 30 pips ahead but it opens a completely new order and does not close 0.1 off the existing order.

How do I partially close positions so I can test my scaling out?

ty,sv

Jdax

#2 Postby Jdax » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:55 pm

I found the same problem.

I frequently partially close in live trading as do the majority of traders.

So Im also interested in finding a way to do this.

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Partial closing

#3 Postby Terranin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:13 pm

sonicviz wrote:Hi,
I'm using v2 (recently bought) and looking at the feature list on the original thread:

10. It will be possible to choose how to work with positions - to open new positions or to partially close single position.

I can't seem to partially close a position.
I tried opening a 0.3 sell position with a market order, then a pending 0.1 buy 30 pips ahead but it opens a completely new order and does not close 0.1 off the existing order.

How do I partially close positions so I can test my scaling out?

ty,sv

This feature is not implemented yet. But you can open more than one position at the same time and then close them one by one.
Last edited by Terranin on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hasta la vista
Mike

sonicviz

#4 Postby sonicviz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks for the update.

This is a really important feature for simulating live trading.
Is it going to be implemented soon(ish)?

Cheers.

marcelnyo

Same strategy

#5 Postby marcelnyo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:13 am

My trading style also uses closing half positions and moving stops for the rest to BE, I hope this feature will be implemented soon(ish)

Thank You for your attention.

Tantalus

#6 Postby Tantalus » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:45 am

For now you can fake it.. for instance instead of opening a buy for 0.3 lots, you could open three buys each for 0.1 lot. Then if you need to close part of the order, just close one of the 0.1 lot orders, leaving you with part of the original buy still intact.

A kluge, but workable...

B-
Tantalus Research - Developing 21st Century Trading Systems.

FT Support

#7 Postby FT Support » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:46 am

"Partial close" feature was included into Forex Tester 2.6 release
Check our other product here:
http://www.forexcopier.com

Tantalus

#8 Postby Tantalus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 am

This is good news. Can a position be partially closed through programming also, like with a Strategy? That would probably be the most useful form of this enhancement.

B-
Tantalus Research - Developing 21st Century Trading Systems.

gglamonakis

New Order created at partial close

#9 Postby gglamonakis » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi,

I noticed in the Journal that when a partial close is done, the remaining lots are treated as a new order. Would it be possible to maintain the original order number somewhere on the new order? This would help me with greatly when I use the journal to create my trading log.

Thanks!

GrahamB

IBFX Partial close

#10 Postby GrahamB » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 pm

IBFX have a very good parial close, which sadly only seems to operate on the IBFX MT4 software.

It allows 4 levels of partial closure, at each stage you can reset your stop loss, and choose your percentage of the outstanding lot size to close. You can also leave some open and either run to a set TP ot use a MT4s trailing stop.

As an example, based on 1 full Lot, you might take 20% at 10 PIPs, moving you SL to 1 PIP (leaves you 0.8 open). At 25 PIPs you may close 25% of 0.8 leaving 0.6 open, and move you SL to 10 PIPs. At 40 PIPs you could close 33% (it does rounding automatically) leaving 0.4 PIPs open, and take your SL to 25 PIPs, and at 60 PIPS you can either close out entirely or partially, or leave it one, and adjust your SL to, say, 50 PIPs.

It is far and away the easiest to use that I have found. It goes not do $ values, which would be nice, and has to be set to each Transaction Number, (but you can save your 'standards'), but it works easily. The only problem is, I want to trade on daily bars starting at Trade Opening which is approx GMT +2 (10 am her in NZ) and dont want a partial bar. So far i have not been able to effectively change the 'start of day' to GMT + 2 on MT4.
When all else fails, engage the brain!

jmsmrtn98

Partial closing

#11 Postby jmsmrtn98 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi,

If you enter a trade with 0.4 lot and like to have seperate TP for each 0.1 lot, just make 4 limit order, 0.1 lot each, for each TP. Then when you get back to your PC, close any limit order that filled with CLOSE-BY command. I think this feature can also coded to a script. Hope this help

GrahamB

#12 Postby GrahamB » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:49 pm

I appreciate it is possible to take a number of separate orders, but that does not take account of the step-variable stop-loss that the Partial Cose EA provides. :) There are several other MT4 programmes out there that provide the same, or even more flexibility [TrailingWithPartialClose.ex4 and Swiss Army EA v1.51.ex4] but I have found that they are quite confusing in their settings and have yet to find an intelligible 'How to Use' sheet for them :!:

It never ceases to amaze me how often there is a disconnect between the genius of writing software and the clarity of descriptive technical writing! :roll:
When all else fails, engage the brain!

alter-ego

#13 Postby alter-ego » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:18 pm

Is there an ability to execute close by programmatically from c++ EA?

FX Helper

#14 Postby FX Helper » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:17 am

Hello,

Sorry, but Forex Tester program doesn't have a CloseBy functionality as far as I know.

Therefore, an ability to execute CloseBy orders isn't present in the API files.

Return to “General Questions about FT”