Automatic Resizing of the Price Scale?

Ask general questions about the software
jaquesert

Automatic Resizing of the Price Scale?

#1 Postby jaquesert » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:38 pm

Is there some way to turn off the automatic resizing of the price scale to fit the screen?

I'd like to be able to turn off this function so that I can choose what the grid represents. For example I would like the spacing between the horizontal grid lines to represent 10 or 20 or 100 pips to suit the time frame I'm looking at.

At the moment what the grid spacing represents in pips dynamically changes as the chart resizes to fully fit the screen - I'd like to turn this off to fix the grid spacing to my choosing.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Jack

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Resizing of the Price Scale?

#2 Postby Terranin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 pm

jaquesert wrote:Is there some way to turn off the automatic resizing of the price scale to fit the screen?

I'd like to be able to turn off this function so that I can choose what the grid represents. For example I would like the spacing between the horizontal grid lines to represent 10 or 20 or 100 pips to suit the time frame I'm looking at.

At the moment what the grid spacing represents in pips dynamically changes as the chart resizes to fully fit the screen - I'd like to turn this off to fix the grid spacing to my choosing.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Jack

At this moment it can not be done, but in next updates we will work on it.
Hasta la vista
Mike

jaquesert

#3 Postby jaquesert » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:55 am

Cheers - appreciate the response

jaquesert

#4 Postby jaquesert » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Any chance this is still being considered for the next release?

Thanks.

Terranin
Site Admin

#5 Postby Terranin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:04 pm

jaquesert wrote:Any chance this is still being considered for the next release?

Thanks.

This is already done, and soon will be released with 2.2 version.
Hasta la vista

Mike

jaquesert

#6 Postby jaquesert » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:09 am

Thanks Mike - I appreciate the work.

Kcomplex

#7 Postby Kcomplex » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Hello, any news on this feature. If it is in the new 2.2 release i can't seem to find it. This would be really helpful for me so if its there can someone tell me how to switch to fixed scale. Thanks.

Terranin
Site Admin

#8 Postby Terranin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:32 pm

Kcomplex wrote:Hello, any news on this feature. If it is in the new 2.2 release i can't seem to find it. This would be really helpful for me so if its there can someone tell me how to switch to fixed scale. Thanks.

It is there, open chart options dialog and you will find it there.
Hasta la vista

Mike

Kcomplex

#9 Postby Kcomplex » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:34 am

Hi Terranin, are you talking about the 'fixed grid (points)' option. This option has no effect on my charts whether left checked or unchecked that i can tell. When it is checked the scale of my chart still changes. If this is the correct option do you know how to make it work.

On a side note my shift key only seems to work some of the time to start and pause testing - any idea why this may be.

Thanks for your time.

Kcomplex

#10 Postby Kcomplex » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi, any news on this. as this feature is not working for me. the candles still change size when the screen scrolls which is what i'm trying to avoid.

Terranin
Site Admin

#11 Postby Terranin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:20 pm

This option affects only grid, so if you set Fixed grid and set there 50 points, your will see grid horizontal lines on every 50 points (or if it is too many lines on 100, 200 and so on points). Your candles will be still resized to get all the chart inside the window.

Shift is a short key to set/release pause of testing.
Hasta la vista

Mike

pipmatix

#12 Postby pipmatix » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 am

Hi,

I know this is a few years on, but are you planning to add the scale fix option as it is in MT4?

MT4 has two options - scale fix by itself, or scale fix One to One.

The best way to explain the scale fix by itself is to ask you to just see it in mt4. It allows the user to freeze the scale while being able to move the chart up or down, without it autoscaling.

This is extremely important to those of us who trade price action and visually being able to see the difference between a 10 pip bar and an auto sized 1 pip bar.

This is the one reason why I've bought the product but hardly ever use it.

Please let us know if this can be implemented.

Thanks,
Pip

FX Helper

#13 Postby FX Helper » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:51 am

Please try to use “Fixed price range” option in chart options (right-click on chart -> Chart Settings -> Chart options tab).
After you set bottom and top price of range (please see the screenshot) you will have chart with manual scaling and you won’t have problem with automatic scale changing.
Attachments
FPR.png
FPR.png (26.56 KiB) Viewed 49968 times

pipmatix

#14 Postby pipmatix » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:36 am

Thanks FX Helper - I'm not at my trading PC at the moment but will test it asap.

Pip

pipmatix

#15 Postby pipmatix » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:13 am

FX Helper wrote:Please try to use “Fixed price range” option in chart options (right-click on chart -> Chart Settings -> Chart options tab).
After you set bottom and top price of range (please see the screenshot) you will have chart with manual scaling and you won’t have problem with automatic scale changing.

Hi again,

I'm sorry to say this, and it is not to offend. This product and it's developers seem to pride themselves on delivering a testing platform for manual and automated testing as close to the real thing as possible.

Your solution does solve the problem to a certain extent, however, it worsens usability even more than than having to constantly drag and scale the chart in autosize mode.

Here's the reason: As soon as price exceeds the boundaries set by the scale (which you had to manually enter) - you need to again go into settings, re-enter the prices - check that the scale is similar and hope that price doesn't exit the boundaries too often.

In MT4 ( and other platforms incl Ninja, Tradestation, cTrader, Oanda, GFT, etc) the process has two benefits. One - simply dragging the vertical axis to manually scale without manually entering prices. Two - being able to click anywhere on the chart and move it up, down or sideways like a piece of paper, without the scale changing. Thus easily following price movement as price volatility moves up and down.

I'm sure you understand the functionality I'm referring to - if not, please select scale fix in MT4 and uncheck 'scale fix one to one'. Then click and drag anywhere on the chart.

Hopefully that clears up my original intention of writing.

FX Helper

#16 Postby FX Helper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:43 am

Hello,

Yes, I understand this functionality but for now Forex Tester doesn't have it.

I've transferred this issue to our programmers and asked them to add this feature in next version of the program.

pipmatix

#17 Postby pipmatix » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:19 am

FX Helper wrote:Hello,

Yes, I understand this functionality but for now Forex Tester doesn't have it.

I've transferred this issue to our programmers and asked them to add this feature in next version of the program.

Hi FX Helper,

Thank you - that would be a fantastic addition. Looking around the forums I think most would agree.

Much appreciated.

amordelejos

#18 Postby amordelejos » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:41 am

interesting...

estrenosenlatino

#19 Postby estrenosenlatino » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:50 pm

thanks! :roll:

FT2User

#20 Postby FT2User » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:48 am

Yes this is an extremely important feature and it would be great if it could be implemented in a minor update instead of FT3 which might take many more months.

Same for the scale fix issue (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4511), it is very annoying for a discretionary lower time frame trader to have to keep scrolling for long periods just to access a point in the past, the slider bar option doesn't help as it is too sensitive.

pipmatix

#21 Postby pipmatix » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 am

Thanks for seconding the request guys!

Could anyone at FT confirm for sure whether we will be forced to wait in agony until FT3 or whether an FT2 update for this will be implemented?

Also, in respect to my question above - what time scales can be expected?

Clearly this is an important and well sought after issue!

Thanks.

11b3Lv13

#22 Postby 11b3Lv13 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:51 pm

Bump

Please can we have an update that addresses this issue?

Being able to move the chart freely with a simple click and drag motion is what I need in order to back test my strategy completely...

I’ve been around since FT2 and currently own FT4 and I need this...

Please please please

11b3Lv13

#23 Postby 11b3Lv13 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Just thinking aloud here... but couldn’t some of this be fixed by enabling the user to define the amounts of pixels attributed to pip? As apposed to the 1:1?

This will allow one to move the chart freely without compressing it into a near horizontal line on smaller time frames... for context I get the “best” feel from “use fixed scale” on the H4 chart because it allows me to compress the chart scale a little further in the price scale by click and dragging down... what I really need is this on smaller time frames... and maybe with a user defined input per chart, it may be achievable

FX Helper

#24 Postby FX Helper » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:33 am

Hello,

Forex Tester 4 version has this functionality.

Please right-click on a chart -> select "Chart settings" option.
Then switch to "Settings" tab, activate "Use fixed scale 1 pixel : 1 point" and click OK.
After that, you will be able to drag the chart horizontally or vertically.

11b3Lv13

#25 Postby 11b3Lv13 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:28 am

Hi,

I’m aware that it is possible, but not in any useful form on lower time frames... as the 1:1 ratio compresses the price chart into a flat or thin representation of its range. Without the functionality to increase the scale (as it is locked) - whereas other charting tools like MT4 and TradingView allow for the free adjustment of the size (how large or small the price chart looks on my screen in locked or fixed mode).

FXT4 can lock or fix a chart, but this chart then needs to be able to be manipulated by click and dragging the price scale on the y axis (up & down)

You understand?

Return to “General Questions about FT”