Broker uses 5th Decimal place as pip counter, Forextester uses 6th

Ask general questions about the software
feck

Broker uses 5th Decimal place as pip counter, Forextester uses 6th

#1 Postby feck » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:00 am

Why is this, MY broker uses prices like this a move from EUR/USD 1.21111 up to 1.21140 is a move of 2.9 pips, as pips are counted from 5th decimal place and 6th decimal place counts 10ths of a pip. . So a placement of £ 0.5 a pip garners £1.45 using multiplaction of 2.9pips. On forextester 4 the 6th Decimal place is counted as the pip counter. So in the previous example the movement from 1.21111 up to 1.21140 is a movement of 29 pips garners me £14.5. As you can see this is a vast difference. Has a vast difference in risk as small account sizes get wiped out easily. For a $100 dollar account size, i have to play with the idea of no stop loss to back test otherwise i get wiped out instantly.

As i'm only learning, I'm demoing also, not live trading at all at this point. Spent out huge amounts for your VIP lifetime package, and am now utterly confused as to how the market works in reality. Does the market count the 5th or the 6th decimal place to count pips on the EUR/USD, so that what i thought was a pip movement in reality on the market is a 10pip movement.

If this is something only forextester 4 does, counts the 6th decimal place, and i have to start working out in my mind to increase everything by a factor of 10 seems ridiculous. When i analyse you charts and look for support an resistance levels, then what looks like a 35 pip move to the level, is in effect a 350 pip move to that level.

Please could you clear this matter up for me, or show me the setting that i have to set to correct price levels. As i dont see how on the EUR/USD that this software is relevant or usable if you have to imagine every trade as 10 times lower/higher in value.

FX Helper

Re: Broker uses 5th Decimal place as pip counter, Forextester uses 6th

#2 Postby FX Helper » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:59 am

Hello,

Can you please send a screenshot of differences so I can see the issue?

Forex Tester program counts 5th digit (4th digit after point) as 1 pip and 5th digit (5th digit after point) as 1 point.
It works the same way as any MT4 or MT5 platform.

If profit/loss of the order is 10 times bigger in the Forex Tester program compared to your broker platform then the reason of the issue is in the Lot size, not digits.

To make the lot size 10 times lesser, please open Data Center window, click on EURUSD pair and then click "Change properties" button.
After that, decrease a value in "Lot size" field by 10 times (from 100000 to 10000, for example).

Then click OK, close Data Center, create a new project and start a new test.

In this case the profit or loss of 1 pip will be 10 times lesser than at the moment.

Does it help?

Return to “General Questions about FT”