Concern about Hardware ID

Ask general questions about the software
Tantalus

Concern about Hardware ID

#1 Postby Tantalus » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:01 pm

I'm interested in using this program, but I don't know if it will work for me given the 'Hardware ID' concept.

I understand the reason for using the technique, but having a program which will only run on a single computer causes a number of problems, for instance:

I use several different computers at different times and different locations for my work, and it would not be reasonable to only be able to use an important program at just one location. As a single user who is not looking to bootleg the program, I just need to be able to use my license whenever and wherever I want. Noone else would be using it, and I would never be using it at more than one computer simultaneously.

Even if it would be acceptable at this time to stick to only one location, I may be called upon to spend significant time at other locations - often with little or no notice. Hence, I would suddenly find it impossible to continue my training/testing until such time as I was allowed to return to the previous location.

When computers are changed, hard-drives die or OS screw-ups force reformatting, the issue is complicated by the need to ask for and receive (after some delay) a new reg code. Not insurmountable, but certainly inconvenient for anyone who is already short of time.

In short, I would like to become a customer but this issue makes it difficult to feel confident about the product's usefulness. It might help if I could make a more comprehensive test of the product, but the demo times out so quickly that I can't really give it a decent test.

In my opinion, your concerns about preventing piracy have caused you to unnecessarily cripple your product, and may actually be losing you more sales than so-called piracy would. Is there any chance you would consider making the product more buyer-compatible?

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Concern about Hardware ID

#2 Postby Terranin » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:13 pm

Tantalus wrote:I'm interested in using this program, but I don't know if it will work for me given the 'Hardware ID' concept.

I understand the reason for using the technique, but having a program which will only run on a single computer causes a number of problems, for instance:

I use several different computers at different times and different locations for my work, and it would not be reasonable to only be able to use an important program at just one location. As a single user who is not looking to bootleg the program, I just need to be able to use my license whenever and wherever I want. Noone else would be using it, and I would never be using it at more than one computer simultaneously.

Even if it would be acceptable at this time to stick to only one location, I may be called upon to spend significant time at other locations - often with little or no notice. Hence, I would suddenly find it impossible to continue my training/testing until such time as I was allowed to return to the previous location.

When computers are changed, hard-drives die or OS screw-ups force reformatting, the issue is complicated by the need to ask for and receive (after some delay) a new reg code. Not insurmountable, but certainly inconvenient for anyone who is already short of time.

In short, I would like to become a customer but this issue makes it difficult to feel confident about the product's usefulness. It might help if I could make a more comprehensive test of the product, but the demo times out so quickly that I can't really give it a decent test.

In my opinion, your concerns about preventing piracy have caused you to unnecessarily cripple your product, and may actually be losing you more sales than so-called piracy would. Is there any chance you would consider making the product more buyer-compatible?

We can not change our policy now about HardwareID. Also we sell our program on Russian market where 98% of pirate soft and we could lose completely our positions there without protection.

But in case of changing computer or hard drive or OS we send our customer new key during 24 hours (and block old key) so it is not really a problem.

In next build I will increase demo time, you are right - it is quite short. :)
Hasta la vista
Mike

Yussof

#3 Postby Yussof » Sun May 13, 2007 3:27 am

By the way.... what is a hardware ID? What is the process required if I change my pc? Please provide me clear steps. Thanks :-)

Terranin
Site Admin

#4 Postby Terranin » Sun May 13, 2007 5:37 am

Yussof wrote:By the way.... what is a hardware ID? What is the process required if I change my pc? Please provide me clear steps. Thanks :-)

Hardware ID is an identificator of your computer, so this software will work only on that computer where it was registered. You can find your Hardware ID after installation of the program following this instruction: http://www.forextester.com/id.html

If you change your PC you just notify us about this and send your new Hardware ID. We will create new registration key for you and block old key (updates for the old key become unavailable).
Hasta la vista

Mike

Return to “General Questions about FT”