Hitting my stop when price hasn't gone there?

Ask general questions about the software
AB

Hitting my stop when price hasn't gone there?

#1 Postby AB » Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 pm

Hi,

I have found that on numerous occassions my stop is hit and my position is closed even though price has not actually reached my stop point.

Latest example was a short of GBP/USD, stop at 1.9246. My stop was taken out even though the high of that bar was only 1.9243. So even with the spread it should have only reached 1.9245.

This kind of thing has happened on quite a few occassions and is problematic enough that I feel my results of backtesting will be skewed because of it.

Anyone else get this problem? Anything that can be done about it?

I am using the data provided on your download page.

Cheers,
AB

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Hitting my stop when price hasn't gone there?

#2 Postby Terranin » Thu May 03, 2007 3:54 pm

AB wrote:Hi,

I have found that on numerous occassions my stop is hit and my position is closed even though price has not actually reached my stop point.

Latest example was a short of GBP/USD, stop at 1.9246. My stop was taken out even though the high of that bar was only 1.9243. So even with the spread it should have only reached 1.9245.

This kind of thing has happened on quite a few occassions and is problematic enough that I feel my results of backtesting will be skewed because of it.

Anyone else get this problem? Anything that can be done about it?

I am using the data provided on your download page.

Cheers,
AB

Spread for this pair is 3 pips, so it worked correctly 1.9243 + 3 pips = 1.9246. Check your spread for this pair in Testing Mode (it can differs from Edit Mode). Short position is closed by Ask price while you can see Bid price on the chart. In next build I added feature to show Ask price on the chart.
Hasta la vista
Mike

Return to “General Questions about FT”