Licensing and Key Generation

Share your ideas how the software could be improved
plasmapelz

Licensing and Key Generation

#1 Postby plasmapelz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:44 am

A very different but nevertheless important (IMO) feature request:

When you buy ForexTester, you pay. Then you need to find out your hardware ID, send it to sales or fill in the key request form and need to wait until sales responds with a license key. Later, when you eventually switch to another computer, you find out your hardware ID, send it to sales or fill in the key request form and need to wait until sales responds with a license key.
The waiting part is horrible :shock: - because it is time in which you can not really use the program and you don't know when you get the response! I understand that you need to make sure that the license is used in the right way, but these key requests must put a lot of work on your sales department and I wouldn't wonder if the response to a key request takes longer than expected or "falls behind the table".

Furthermore I also find it horrible to have the program on just one computer! I have two laptops, one at work and one at home, and I want to use FT on both of them. Mainly on my home PC, because that is when I have most time. But also on my work computer, e.g. when I am on a business travel.

So here is my feature request:

1) Introduce a user based license that allows to install ForexTester on a limited number of computers (two or three?)

2) Introduce an online database system for FT license keys, where every user gets an account and can manage his license and the computers on which it is installed. Keys are automatically generated when I submit a hardware ID, up until the number of allowed keys. This could happen during installation, or maybe through a web interface similar to the current request form.
The FT installation on a particular computer then checks periodically with the online account, whether the license key it uses is still valid (we know this from windows activation and other software).

What do you think, would that be possible? At least point (2)?

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Licensing and Key Generation

#2 Postby Terranin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 am

plasmapelz wrote:A very different but nevertheless important (IMO) feature request:

When you buy ForexTester, you pay. Then you need to find out your hardware ID, send it to sales or fill in the key request form and need to wait until sales responds with a license key. Later, when you eventually switch to another computer, you find out your hardware ID, send it to sales or fill in the key request form and need to wait until sales responds with a license key.
The waiting part is horrible :shock: - because it is time in which you can not really use the program and you don't know when you get the response! I understand that you need to make sure that the license is used in the right way, but these key requests must put a lot of work on your sales department and I wouldn't wonder if the response to a key request takes longer than expected or "falls behind the table".

Furthermore I also find it horrible to have the program on just one computer! I have two laptops, one at work and one at home, and I want to use FT on both of them. Mainly on my home PC, because that is when I have most time. But also on my work computer, e.g. when I am on a business travel.

So here is my feature request:

1) Introduce a user based license that allows to install ForexTester on a limited number of computers (two or three?)

2) Introduce an online database system for FT license keys, where every user gets an account and can manage his license and the computers on which it is installed. Keys are automatically generated when I submit a hardware ID, up until the number of allowed keys. This could happen during installation, or maybe through a web interface similar to the current request form.
The FT installation on a particular computer then checks periodically with the online account, whether the license key it uses is still valid (we know this from windows activation and other software).

What do you think, would that be possible? At least point (2)?

1. The problem is, how can we check this situation? Only if you connected to internet and when program starts you login to our server and server verifies you. But what happens if user does not have connection to internet? He can not use our software? And also if server is down, you can not use it too.

2. Maybe later we create such a system, it is not a simple thing. Also we need to make it secure from hackers attacks.
Hasta la vista
Mike

plasmapelz

Re: Licensing and Key Generation

#3 Postby plasmapelz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Terranin wrote:1. The problem is, how can we check this situation? Only if you connected to internet and when program starts you login to our server and server verifies you. But what happens if user does not have connection to internet? He can not use our software? And also if server is down, you can not use it too.

2. Maybe later we create such a system, it is not a simple thing. Also we need to make it secure from hackers attacks.

I see...
The company that I work for creates a software product which tries to connect to the license database every other month. If that is not possible, the user gets a message that the license will expire in a certain amount of days (30 days) unless it can be verified. From this time on, the program tries to connect at every start and displays that message if it does not work, for the remaining days.
The user has the option to also verify the license manually (but to be honest I don't know exactly how this works :)). Maybe an encrypted key is generated from the license key, order number and hardware ID, which can be pasted in a web form and must match the information in the database, then a new license key is generated from the database and must be pasted in the registration dialog......

It will be a very rare situation, I guess - since nowadays almost every computer is connected to the internet, at least from time to time.

schibberit

#4 Postby schibberit » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:40 am

I want to vote for this one as I have several computers and to be forced to work on only one of them is really annoying.

Return to “New Feature Suggestions”