Position size flexibility is lacking

Share your ideas how the software could be improved
Orfeo44

Position size flexibility is lacking

#1 Postby Orfeo44 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi.
I know this request has already been raised few times here and still i thought to raise it again with my personal view of why it is important.
I think forextester is a great program for traders especially beginners as it allows them to test their abilities before using real money.
So i needn't think much before buying it.
However one drawback of the program which took me only a few minutes to detect is the fact that FT allows a minimum lot of 0.1.
My opinion is that FT should come with the option of using any position size possible just like OANDA.
Here's my logic as to why:

1. Money management is a critical part of one's trading which maybe equal in it's importance to one's entries and exits.
2. When using simulation in trading i personally think that the simulation environment should be as identical as possible to the real one in which one uses real money.

Therefore if i have a small account of let's say 1000$ using stop between 100-200 pips a lot size of 0.1 simply doesn't fit.
Of course as already mentioned in one of the former threads i could use a higher account balance and imagine it's a small one. But i think psychologically it's not the same.

So to make my long story short i think that the lack of position size flexibility diminishes the simulation experience in terms of psychology and money management.
So i think the best solution would be to improve the trading interface in a way that will allow total position size flexibility just like OANDA does and also to include stop loss and take profit calculator so it is possible to easily execute trades.

My personal opinion is that adding such a feature to the software will make it really great (it is great already) and shouldn't pose much of a challange to the developers.

I am sorry if that was a long post but it was really important for me to clarify this point because FT is great and that feature is really missing...

Sometimes it is the small and simple things which make the difference.
I hope others will agree.

Thanks
Rafael

H2O

#2 Postby H2O » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:49 am

I completely agree with this and would also like to make trades starting at 0.01 and onwards.

Great product - really like it !!!!

Terranin
Site Admin

#3 Postby Terranin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:28 am

So, what is the minimum lot you think should be? 0.01, 0.001? This functionality is already added and will be available in next update.

Also, we have some stop loss/take profit calculator in orders, or you have something else in mind?
Hasta la vista
Mike

Pipskateer

#4 Postby Pipskateer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Terranin wrote:So, what is the minimum lot you think should be? 0.01, 0.001? This functionality is already added and will be available in next update.

Also, we have some stop loss/take profit calculator in orders, or you have something else in mind?

I think this value really should be 0.0001 (for Oanda and IBFX?) or at least 0.001 to accommodate trading plans and strategies that rely on taking multiple positions which still must remain within good money management parameters in the aggregate.

As far as I can tell, FXT only allows 0.01 as the minimum unless I missed something?

Thanks for such a SUPERB tool for traders which seems to keep getting better and better! Kudos!!
In Christ Alone!
\o/ Pipskateer

Makai

#5 Postby Makai » Fri May 11, 2012 5:33 am

When you have a Mini, Micro or Nano account at a broker, will 1.0 lot be 10,000 for Mini, 1,000 Micro and 100 for Nano then?

It`s good news that this is already implemented in the pre-alpha.

Return to “New Feature Suggestions”