Indicators shouldn't be time frame related, please make it like MT4/5

Share your ideas how the software could be improved
ivangil

Indicators shouldn't be time frame related, please make it like MT4/5

#1 Postby ivangil » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:26 am

Guys, forex tester is great but still it is very primitive in many ways, and definitely one that makes us waste our time is the inability to see an indicator that I already attached to the chart when I change to a different time frame. Even Meta Trader 4 has it, and it is famous for its lack of graphical tools.

FX Helper

Re: Indicators shouldn't be time frame related, please make it like MT4/5

#2 Postby FX Helper » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:26 am

Hello,

MetaTrader 4 has it because it works in a real time only with a small speed.

In Forex Tester the indicators are attached to the timeframes but not to the whole chart, so when you see the indicators on different timeframes you actually see different instances of the indicator. If you attach your indicator to M5 timeframe you will not see it on M30 timeframe of the same chart.

This was done with optimization purpose. Because it is very time consuming to recount all indicators when you change timeframe. So, that's why every indicator is linked to a specific timeframe to avoid extra calculations when you change timeframes. If you need, for example, this indicator on timeframe 5 and 15 then place 2 indicators on both timeframes.

When you apply new indicator to the chart you can choose the timeframes where to show, after that several independent indicator instances are created and you cannot choose the timeframes again, only edit the settings of each instance separately.

ivangil

#3 Postby ivangil » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks for your answer.

The explanation about CPU cycles optimization would have made sense years ago when we were using slow computers, but nowadays even our kids have monster computers with at least 8 cores, so it is time to start taking advantage of it.

Now, let's say that you are right and it can't be done, then at least give us a way to copy the indicator with all its parameter from one timeframe to another with just one click. I am a computer programmer and I know this will be easy to make.

agora

#4 Postby agora » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:16 pm

i agree with ivangil

joylay83

#5 Postby joylay83 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:02 pm

ivangil wrote:Thanks for your answer.

The explanation about CPU cycles optimization would have made sense years ago when we were using slow computers, but nowadays even our kids have monster computers with at least 8 cores, so it is time to start taking advantage of it.

Now, let's say that you are right and it can't be done, then at least give us a way to copy the indicator with all its parameter from one timeframe to another with just one click. I am a computer programmer and I know this will be easy to make.

very very true... do you need a 64 core? so be it.

Return to “New Feature Suggestions”