Installing updates resets data?

Bug reports and errors in the program
brucehvn

Installing updates resets data?

#1 Postby brucehvn » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:29 am

I just installed the latest update to ForexTester 2.0. I installed over my previous copy of 2.0. When I launched the program it required me to enter my registration key again and it seems to have reset the currency list back to the default 3 currencies and wiped out all my imported data.

So just to get going again, I had to get the currency list correct again, import all my data for six pairs from 2002, re-generate ticks, etc.

Is there a way to avoid that in the future if all I want to do is get the latest bug fixes? I installed it to the same location with the same options as when I installed it the first time (data folder under the program folder, etc.).

Bruce

dackjaniels

#2 Postby dackjaniels » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi brucehvn,
I recently installed a new update myself using the following process:

1. Locate the FT2 installation folder (perhaps C:\Program Files\ForexTester2) and open it to view the folders within it.
2. Copy the following folders to another location:
- Data (contains all imported history data and currency list)
- Indicators (only required if you use custom indicators or wish to retain saved indicator settings)
- Projects (if you have saved projects)
- Strategies (if you use custom strategies)
- Templates (if you have saved templates)
3. From the windows control panel uninstall FT2.
4. Install the updated version of FT2.
5. Locate the FT2 installation folder and copy back the previously backed-up folders (choose to merge folders and replace files if Windows asks).

Start FT2. You may need to re-insert the registration key at this point but I didn't.

I have not had any issues doing it this way and it saves re-importing data, setting up currencies again, etc.

I was speaking to Mike recently (FT2 author) and he said he's working on a 'safe' update that preserves user files and history data, with the possibility of an auto-update feature though he gave no completion date.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve

Return to “Bug reports”