Blank Error Message

Bug reports and errors in the program
JJLL

Blank Error Message

#1 Postby JJLL » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Dear FT,
While performing some recent back testing I've began to receive an error message. The problem is that I can't see what the error is that's occurring. I've uninstalled and reinstalled FT a few times with no success in fixing the issue. The indicator that I'm testing has worked with the current version in the past. What has changed is that I've updated my hardware (the entire computer.)

Below is a screen shot of the error. If possible, please tell me where I can find the log where the errors are kept and I'll be happy to send them to your support.

Thanks again.
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (257.03 KiB) Viewed 19367 times

FT Support

#2 Postby FT Support » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:19 am

Hello,

Do you know who was the developer of this indicator?
Do you have its source code?
Check our other product here:
http://www.forexcopier.com

dackjaniels

#3 Postby dackjaniels » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi,

I developed this indicator for JJLL.

I uses the ObjectCreate() method to draw numerous graphical objects (trendlines and labels).

Once the number of objects reaches a certain point (around 9000) the indicator fails.

JJLL reported that he saw an error 1158 which a quick Google shows refers to a handle limit being exceeded (it appears Windows allocates a certain amount of handles to each process).

It seems that FT does not monitor the number of graphical objects and act accordingly if the number becomes very large so the indicator, and sometimes FT, crashes.

For now, as a workaround, I have added an option the indicator to not draw the graphical objects.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the best way to handle this.
Perhaps it is possible to retrieve the portion of a chart that is currently visible and just draw object on this section?

Steve

FT Support

#4 Postby FT Support » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:15 am

Hi Steve,

It is possible to show the portion of a chart that is currently visible, please use "GetChartInfo" method, you can find an example of its usage in "TimeBox" indicator's code.

Code: Select all

var
  ChartInfo: TChartInfo;
begin
  if not(GetChartInfo(ChartInfo)) then
    exit;

Print(format('first: %d, last: %d', [ChartInfo.FirstIndex, ChartInfo.LastIndex]));
Attachments
TimeBox.dpr
(6.33 KiB) Downloaded 845 times

dackjaniels

#5 Postby dackjaniels » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the info.

Now I think about it though, the idea was to be able to apply the indicator to historical data and then scroll back through the chart and draw the graphical elements that are in the visible portion of the chart (whilst deleting those not visible). In real time I could do this but in order to scroll back through historic data and dynamically show the graphics would require some sort of hook into the scroll event of the chart.

I think there will be an easier workaround. For instance JJLL told me of a registry change that makes more handles available to the current process and in theory eliminating the issue.

FT Support

#6 Postby FT Support » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:10 am

you can also draw objects in "Paint" procedure (see "TimeBox" example), this procedure is called every time when the chart has to be redrawn so this will work for scrolling.

dackjaniels

#7 Postby dackjaniels » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look at the timebox source.

JJLL

#8 Postby JJLL » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:09 am

Due to my schedule, this reply comes late.

Dackjaniels has described and diagnosed the issue with this indicator superbly. The problem has been corrected and I appreciate the help from both FT Support and Dackjaniels. For any serious forex trader looking for a developer, Dackjaniels has surpassed my expectations time and time again. The Forex Tester platform is also the best back testing application on the market. How can I say this? I’ve dealt with much lesser (and I mean MUCH lesser testing software) and in the past I’ve have done business with almost two dozen software developers stretched over 4 continents. Some of the developers were good, some flat out stole from me, but none have surpassed the skills, experience and professionalism of Dackjaniels.

Recently, over the last few years, I've dealt with Forex Tester and Dackjaniels exclusively. No one else.

Please remember my above statement, “any serious forex trader…”
If you’re just curious or toying with the idea of currency trading, find someone else or use another back testing application. When monetary profits and losses are involved, no one likes their time wasted. But if you are working on a method that shows promise, please keep the two participants above in mind. You will not be disappointed.

FT Support

#9 Postby FT Support » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Wow,

JJLL thank you for your nice testimonial!

Return to “Bug reports”