Monitoring variables

How to create strategies and indicators
Matt_mm

Monitoring variables

#1 Postby Matt_mm » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:46 am

Is there any way of monitoring variables or debugging while Forex Tester is running?

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Monitoring variables

#2 Postby Terranin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:05 am

Matt_mm wrote:Is there any way of monitoring variables or debugging while Forex Tester is running?

Yes, you can use Delphi debugger. (I did not use it, for me usually everything is clear without debugging :) so can not help you with how to setup it). Also you can track your variables printing to Journal with Print function. Or you can use Breakpoint function - it stops strategy and shows some message.
Hasta la vista
Mike

Matt_mm

#3 Postby Matt_mm » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:01 am

Thanks!

dackjaniels

#4 Postby dackjaniels » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:53 pm

Perhaps also worth mentioning is that if you use the Print command and generate many debug messages the journal may overflow and not all messages will be visible.
If you suspect this is true simply browse to the ForexTester program folder, open the LOGS folder and open the ForexTester.log file in notepad. This will contain all of the messages.

Steve

Matt_mm

#5 Postby Matt_mm » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up dackJaniels

philBell

#6 Postby philBell » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:38 am

There's a post about linking the debugger to ForexTester

http://www.forextester.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1065

I'm new to Delphi, and am using the free 2006 version mentioned in the Forum. So far, I can get the debugger linked (its the Run menu's Attach to Process, not Start menu referred to in the post above), but when the debugger opens up breakpoint markers have a small cross overlaid on them, and everything I've tried so far is causing Forex Tester to crash with an access violation; don't know if plasmapelz is/was using a different version of Delphi. Being able to step through the strategy would be a big help.

Return to “FT API”