Question about Indicator of an indicator

Frequently Asked Questions
linalm

Question about Indicator of an indicator

#1 Postby linalm » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Hello Mike,

In Forex Tester 2.0, I'd like to know how I can lay one indicator like the Moving Average on top of another like the Williams' Percent Range, or Bollinger Bands on top of RSI for example.

Using Metatrader as a reference, I'd have the Williams' Percent Range on a window and then I would drop the MA onto that window and would indicate that the MA applies to "First Indicator's Data" or perhaps "Previous Indicator's Data".

Thank you. Regards,

LINA

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Question about Indicator of an indicator

#2 Postby Terranin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:38 pm

linalm wrote:Hello Mike,

In Forex Tester 2.0, I'd like to know how I can lay one indicator like the Moving Average on top of another like the Williams' Percent Range, or Bollinger Bands on top of RSI for example.

Using Metatrader as a reference, I'd have the Williams' Percent Range on a window and then I would drop the MA onto that window and would indicate that the MA applies to "First Indicator's Data" or perhaps "Previous Indicator's Data".

Thank you. Regards,

LINA

You can click with right mouse button on the oscillator window and click "Add indicator to window".
Hasta la vista
Mike

linalm

#3 Postby linalm » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:19 am

Terranin wrote:You can click with right mouse button on the oscillator window and click "Add indicator to window".

Mike, I did try that and didn't see a way to specify what data to use in the calculations of the second indicator. This is what I did:
    1) I added the Williams' Percentage Range and then,
    2) On that very same window and doing right click, I added the Moving Average.

When the dialog box for the MA popped up, the "Apply to Price" parameter showed me the standard price options (Close, Open, etc.) which didn't include the others like in Metatrader under this circumstances ("First indicator's data" or "Previous indicator's data").

So, in my example, how do I get the MA to do the calculations using the Williams' Percentage Rate data?

Thank you.

Terranin
Site Admin

#4 Postby Terranin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:49 am

linalm wrote:
Terranin wrote:You can click with right mouse button on the oscillator window and click "Add indicator to window".

Mike, I did try that and didn't see a way to specify what data to use in the calculations of the second indicator. This is what I did:
    1) I added the Williams' Percentage Range and then,
    2) On that very same window and doing right click, I added the Moving Average.
When the dialog box for the MA popped up, the "Apply to Price" parameter showed me the standard price options (Close, Open, etc.) which didn't include the others like in Metatrader under this circumstances ("First indicator's data" or "Previous indicator's data").

So, in my example, how do I get the MA to do the calculations using the Williams' Percentage Rate data?

Thank you.

At current moment you can only combine 2 or more separate indicators in the same window, but you can not calculate one indicator using data of another.
Hasta la vista

Mike

tinmanportalfred

#5 Postby tinmanportalfred » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:58 pm

This functionality needs to be added - many trading strategies rely on MA of another indicator and since it is available on MT4 it should be available on Forex Tester in my opinion.

Tantalus

#6 Postby Tantalus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:42 pm

This can be done through custom programming. If you're interested in having a project like this done, email me at

admin@tantalusonline.com

B-
Tantalus Research - Developing 21st Century Trading Systems.

xxxxtrader

#7 Postby xxxxtrader » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:18 am

So I see this subject is not new. It's been nearly 12years since, has this very important function been updated and written into FX Tester 4? So far, I can't see it has and my strategy needs this functionality. What about the new version 5???

FX Helper

#8 Postby FX Helper » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:51 am

Hello,

Sorry, but this functionality is difficult to implement, our developers have't created it yet.

The only way is to create such indicators via custom programming at the moment.

Return to “FAQ”