Woeful performance

Bug reports and errors in the program
haribos

Woeful performance

#1 Postby haribos » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:40 pm

I have a good spec machine, core i5, 16GB ram. Forex tester 4 takes forever to load, you can see it drawing in the the windows 1 by 1.
If I click New Project it takes a good 5 - 10 seconds just to bring up the window. Likewise with the data center.
The list of instruments in the data center is virtually unusable, you drag the scroll bar and 5 seconds later it re-draws. When you first open it and scroll to an item in the list and click it loses the position and jumps back to the top as well.
I have VIP tick data so why after selecting my instrument does it then spend another 5 minutes "generating ticks"? Is it actually using the real tick data or not?!
Default settings for indices etc. completely wrong, so tried to set values in the datacenter to be correct - attached is screenshot for FTSE 100 with results still not as expected.
Please can you tell me what the settings should be - I want GBP, 2 decimal places in price, change in price of 1.00 should equate to 1 GBP, leverage 100:1. So above trade should equate to -3 points not -301.
Attachments
ForexTester4.jpg
ForexTester4.jpg (123.01 KiB) Viewed 42846 times

FX Helper

Re: Woeful performance

#2 Postby FX Helper » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:23 am

Hello,

Please attempt to do the following to speed up the program and fix the issues:
1. Always launch the program as administrator (right-click the Forex Tester icon -> run as administrator).
2. Remove all indicators instances that you do not need at the current moment.
For example, you may have 2 MA on 2 timeframes (let’s say on M5 and M15) of one chart. Each of these MA instances will be calculated separately, so it is recommended to remove all indicators that you do not need at the current moment and leave the indicators only on the timeframes which you use. In this case our program will need less time to load the project.
3. Check that no automatic strategies are running at this moment, or just turn off strategy execution ("Testing -> Enable/Disable Strategy execution" menu).
4. Create a new project and use the "Generate ticks by OHLC points" option.
5. Perhaps some of your data files were corrupted. Try to delete the data using the “Clear history” button and then download it from Data Center again.
6. Attempt to decrease the value in the “Tick package size” drop-down menu.

If this doesn’t help then it’s likely that some program files are damaged.
Please download Forex Tester 4 via this link:
http://www.forextester.com/files/ForexT ... upEng4.exe

Install it on your computer into another folder (for example, C:\ForexTester4_NEW). Please DO NOT install it into the Program Files folder.

After that, launch Forex Tester 4 as administrator (right-click -> run as administrator) and register it with your key.

If you need to keep your historical data, projects and templates. then please do the following:

1. Go to program folder (C:\ForexTester4 by default) and backup these folders: "Data", "Projects", "Templates"
2. After you reinstall Forex Tester, replace the corresponding folders with those that were backed up.

Dubghall

#3 Postby Dubghall » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:03 am

I too have woeful performance. My problem is that it takes 1 to 2 minutes to advance one day in Testing. I have tried a project with only one symbol and using only 1 minute data, no tick data. It didn't matter. FT3 was never this slow. I had a dozen charts and tick data yet never had any slowness on same computer. I tried re-installing as described but no improvement. I truly love the advances of FT4 but it needs to work better. Any suggestions for performance improvement?

Thank you

FX Helper

#4 Postby FX Helper » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:19 am

Hello,

Do you use any custom indicators or experts in the Forex Tester 4?
They can slow the program significantly.
Please try running a new chart without any indicators or experts and check if the Forex Tester 4 program works faster.

Dubghall

#5 Postby Dubghall » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:12 pm

I do use custom indicators, that was the main reason for upgrading to FT4. FT3 worked great but the list of indicators was too limited. I found one indicator in particular that drastically slows down the performance. Is there a way to improve this or do I just have to avoid using it?

The program also loses the saved template on all charts but the active one when program is closed. I have to reset the template every time, quite annoying!

Thanks for your response.

FX Helper

#6 Postby FX Helper » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:10 am

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

Please send .mq4 file of this indicator to us to email support@forextester.com so we can try to reproduce the issue on our site and fix the indicator.

As for the issue with a template, can you please send a screenshot of the program before and after closing and opening it?

Please try to always save your project via File -> Save Project menu before closing the software.

haribos

#7 Postby haribos » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:34 am

Hi,

None of your suggestions are really helpful, suggesting running as administrator should make no difference and is not advisable (if it does make any difference then you are doing something wrong), I have no strategies running, I only have 3 moving averages on a 4 hour chart, I don't want to use OHLC generated ticks the whole point to getting accurate testing is to use real ticks. The performance just isn't good enough. If I press space to advance by 1 bar on a 4 hour chart there is a noticeable delay before it advances to the next bar. I have written a C# program that iterates over all the same tick data, calculates my EMAs and runs my strategy in code against it and it runs the whole lot in the time it takes ForexTester4 to advance a couple of bars. I really don't know what you are doing to make the app so slow. If it's the UI rendering then please consider being able to run a strategy without updating the chart i.e. just show me the resulting trades in the output window.

I suspect the problem with the startup time and rendering of the windows initially (and probably a chunk the rest of the poor performance as well) is down to the anti-hack packer you are using. Given I've spent several hundred quid on a VIP package I feel like I should be able to get a copy without this junk slowing it down. I can't think of many software companies that do this to their apps.

Please can you fix the bug with the data center list box, it's driving me nuts. You open it, scroll down, click on the one you want and it jumps back to the top again!

Thanks

FX Helper

#8 Postby FX Helper » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:29 am

Hello,

What Forex Tester 4 build do you use?
You can find a version of the program via Help -> About program menu.

As far as I know, a bug with autoscrolling the list in the Data Center window has been fixed in the newest 4.1.0.33 version.

mfinab

#9 Postby mfinab » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi,

I do have problem either with performance on FT3 and (FT4 demo).

I'm a registered user of FT3 and was about to upgrade to FT4, but my testing hanging forever with "Not Responding".
Of course, if I can get help to resolve that problem, it would be awsome.

My computer specs are:
CPU AMD 3970x - 64GB RAM
NVME
1080ti Video Card

I do have 2 chart open on EURUSD (1H & Daily), downloaded only 1 min. candle.
2 Indicators
Bollinger Bands (20,2.00,0, Close, Simple (SMA)
Custom Indicator that I converted from (FT4 demo) took from here: forexfactory.com/showthread.php?p=10987687#post10987687 3_level_zz_semafor.mq4

That's it. When I start the project, it goes fine until few candles and than it starts to slow down very much and saying "Not Responding". I cant go further than that on testing. I need to close the program because it does not responding anymore. :cry:

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

FX Helper

#10 Postby FX Helper » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:11 am

Hello,

Thank you for the info.

Please try removing the custom indicator from a chart and check if it helps to fix the issue with the program freezes.
Probably the reason of the problem is in this indicator.

CoinHunter

#11 Postby CoinHunter » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:41 pm

I am having the same issue.

The problem with being able to just use standard indicators.. is that they are mostly useless. If they did work there wouldn't be so much losers in the game.
What is really interesting is being able to test different custom indicators, which unfortunately in several cases FT4 does not allow.

FX Helper

#12 Postby FX Helper » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 am

Hello,

We provide dozens of built-in indicator with the Forex Tester 4 program, in addition, it is possible to convert most of the indicators with .mq4 extension.

Also you can hire a programmers who can create any indicator for you and then you can add this indicator to the Forex Tester program and test it there.

For example, you can contact our partners from 4xdev.com site so they can help you with creating or converting the indicator.

Return to “Bug reports”