Why so much data in Ticks and EditMode folders?

Sources of data to import to the program
4EverMaAT

Why so much data in Ticks and EditMode folders?

#1 Postby 4EverMaAT » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:37 am

I have all of the currency pairs for interbankfx ticks. So in the ForexTester2\data\Ticks folder, there is 22GB of data (appx 800MB in each xxxxxx.ask and xxxxxx.dat files; xxxxxx = currency pair) . This is understandable for 2 years of data. my problem is that the other folder,
ForexTester2\data\EditMode is 18GB of data.

Questions:
1) why are there 2 different folders of data?
2) can there just be one master datafile (\Ticks) and then I pull from this file only when I need? There's no point in having duplicate data if i do not need to.

Any other tips helpful.

PS: how can I migrate, or move my data folder to a different computer or hard drive?
Are your trading systems fully automated? AwarenessForex.com

FT Support

#2 Postby FT Support » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:56 am

Hello,

Technically important to have downloaded tick data separately from the generated tick data because these two sets of data have to be stored in different formats.

You can try moving whole "data" folder to other installation of Forex Tester, this may work but we did not test such situation.
Check our other product here:
http://www.forexcopier.com

4EverMaAT

#3 Postby 4EverMaAT » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 am

FT Support wrote:Hello,

Technically important to have downloaded tick data separately from the generated tick data because these two sets of data have to be stored in different formats.

You can try moving whole "data" folder to other installation of Forex Tester, this may work but we did not test such situation.

so if i delete "generated tick data", this will free up some space

how do i do this within the program? or do i have to delete the . which folder has the original data and which one has the "generated ticks"? Thanks :)

FT Support

#4 Postby FT Support » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:25 am

Just generate ticks for smaller time period, each ticks generation erases all previously generated ticks.
Check our other product here:
http://www.forexcopier.com

4EverMaAT

#5 Postby 4EverMaAT » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:41 am

FT Support wrote:Just generate ticks for smaller time period, each ticks generation erases all previously generated ticks.

ok. i just deleted all the data in the "ticks" folder. That freed up about 22GB. Then i will only generate data as needed. Thanks.

Return to “Data sources”