Money Management

Share your ideas how the software could be improved
RCSM

Money Management

#1 Postby RCSM » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi Mike
I have been using your software for 2 years now and find it a great tool; looking forward to new version.
Just wondering if it is possible to add a selection for using percentage of account when opening trades where the lots are displayed under Options / Trading.
Thanks for your time.

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Money Management

#2 Postby Terranin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:55 pm

RCSM wrote:Hi Mike
I have been using your software for 2 years now and find it a great tool; looking forward to new version.
Just wondering if it is possible to add a selection for using percentage of account when opening trades where the lots are displayed under Options / Trading.
Thanks for your time.

In next versions why not. Though I have a huge list of improvements. :)
Hasta la vista
Mike

plasmapelz

MoneyMgmt 2

#3 Postby plasmapelz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:26 am

Hi Mike,

That is exactly what I wanted to ask too... I was also wondering whether it would be possible to have for each currency pair:
- Separate default SL/TP
- Separate default Position sizes (in real amounts, not lots)
- Separate default fixed risk amount, from which the default Position size is computed according to the default SL

??

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: MoneyMgmt 2

#4 Postby Terranin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:00 pm

plasmapelz wrote:Hi Mike,

That is exactly what I wanted to ask too... I was also wondering whether it would be possible to have for each currency pair:
- Separate default SL/TP
- Separate default fixed risk amount, from which the default Position size is computed according to the default SL

??

When I start working on this feature I will open a discussion on forum. Because at this moment I have no idea how to make it better.
Hasta la vista

Mike

dackjaniels

#5 Postby dackjaniels » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Terranin wrote:
plasmapelz wrote:Hi Mike,

- Separate default SL/TP

??

When I start working on this feature I will open a discussion on forum. Because at this moment I have no idea how to make it better.

Mike,
I have a suggestion regarding the above.....

Essentially what people seem to want is more flexibility in the way manual instant orders are placed during a manual backtest.
They want to open a position based on things like account size, account equity, S/L and T/P rules (e.g. place stop below previous swing point), etc.
This is currently achievable when writing an automated strategy but not for manual orders.

So, on the Options/Trading tab, you could enable the user to choose either the appropriate parameters as are available now OR choose to browse to a script/dll. The script could be a 'cut-down' version of a strategy returning only those parameters required to place the order (or perhaps multiple orders allowing scaling in/out of trades in one simple keypress).

Regards,
Steve

boa

#6 Postby boa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:07 pm

dackjaniels wrote:So, on the Options/Trading tab, you could enable the user to choose either the appropriate parameters as are available now OR choose to browse to a script/dll. The script could be a 'cut-down' version of a strategy returning only those parameters required to place the order (or perhaps multiple orders allowing scaling in/out of trades in one simple keypress).

Regards,
Steve

Love the Script/dll idea. If all the appropriate variables were accessible we could automate a lot just about any "entry time" strategy.

peregrine

#7 Postby peregrine » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Yes I think that would be some excellent options.

A way to have different SL and TP selection for pair type aor duration.
For example you might be able to get a 50pip trade on eurusd in the European session before lunch, but if you tried to stretch it out to 75 pips you would often revisit your entry price. or similar.
This might diffre on another pair. It may be 40pips target profit.

On the other other suggestion, I agree as well. Having the ability to automatically input a % of risk matchec to SL size. Say a 1% risk on this trade. Vs manually computing the maximum lot size then inputting it. So if someone wanted to risk 5% on each trade they could do so. etc. etc.

Paul12

#8 Postby Paul12 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:09 pm

peregrine wrote:On the other other suggestion, I agree as well. Having the ability to automatically input a % of risk matchec to SL size. Say a 1% risk on this trade. Vs manually computing the maximum lot size then inputting it. So if someone wanted to risk 5% on each trade they could do so. etc. etc.

This is exactly what I would love to see added to FT. Since we are back testing we should have a set of strict criteria we test every time including strict risk management.

I want to trade 1.5% of my account size every time I place a trade. Wouldn't it be awesome if FT calculated how many lots I could trade depending on my account size and set % trade risk every time I wanted to place a order?

It would save me so much time calculating it every time I want to place an order. Especially since I have to do it hundreds of times per back test project.

Please please add this incredibly handy feature :D

FT Support

#9 Postby FT Support » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:35 am

Hello,

I do not know when we will be able to add this feature. For now you can create a script which will place an order with the lot size which is calculated based on account size. This can help. If you cannot develop scripts then you can leave the coding request on this forum and programmers will contact you.
Check our other product here:
http://www.forexcopier.com

Makai

#10 Postby Makai » Fri May 11, 2012 5:21 am

Here is an excellent online Position Size Calculator.
I use this when test trading manually in Forex Tester.

http://www.earnforex.com/position-size-calculator

I do not think that the presets for SL/TP for different pairs and different times of day would be useful when actually being in test trading.
Sometimes you imagine you would benefit from one thing or another but then in reality it does not matter while actually something else matters, something you didn`t think of. :)

aristid

#11 Postby aristid » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 am

Hello all,
I was about to start a new topic, "automatic position sizing"...

I would love to have the position size calculated according to % of acct.
This is how I, and many others, trade.

From what I can see, there is no "report" when a test is done.
I would love to have even a simple report, showing wins-losses and avg.win-avg.loss to determine my expectancy.
Even if not being able to position size automatically (and simply taking trades by a set number of lots), I could, from such a report make some deductions.

Even better, and simpler, why not add a column to the account history, showing the end result of a trade as a percentage of the original stopout distance.
Example, if initially risking 120 pips and finally made 60, the column would read "0.5".
If making 240, should read "2".
Reward achieved as a percentage of risk taken.
This is very helpful imformation.

thanks all.

FT Support

#12 Postby FT Support » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:40 am

Hello,

You can create the script which will open orders with lot size calculated based on risk %

aristid

#13 Postby aristid » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:10 am

Thank you for your reply.
I am very new (2 days), can you point me in the right direction?
You can use a script when testing manually?
thanks again.

FT Support

#14 Postby FT Support » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:00 am

Hello,

yes, you can use scripts when you are testing manually.

Do you have programming skills? if yes then you can create the script by yourself if not then we can find a programmer for you.

aristid

#15 Postby aristid » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:52 pm

thank you for your reply.
I do have programming skills, I should be able to do it if it is relatively easy to do.
will look into it when I am back from Christmas break.
thanks again.

FT Support

#16 Postby FT Support » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:11 am

Ok, great!
Merry Christmas!

jonnywolf

#17 Postby jonnywolf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 am

Any news on this or shall I have a programmer create the script?

FT Support

#18 Postby FT Support » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:11 am

Sorry but we do not plan implementing this feature in nearest releases. So you can create a script for now.

andrewlogan09

#19 Postby andrewlogan09 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:42 am

I do not think that the presets for SL/TP for different couples and different periods of day would be useful when actually being in analyze dealing.
Sometimes you think about you would advantage from one factor or another but then actually it does not issue while actually something else issues, something you didn`t think of.
Andrew Logan

Jamison

#20 Postby Jamison » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 pm

I am also looking forward to the new version

haley23

#21 Postby haley23 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:13 am

The money can be managed in best way if it is invested in profitable business. The complete analysis should be made before investing.
welcome

Coretta

#22 Postby Coretta » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:07 pm

I just started using shortly, is slowly discover its excellent place

00verhead

Re: Money Management

#23 Postby 00verhead » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:59 am

I have a script solution to this. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.
Trading.

Return to “New Feature Suggestions”