Moving Average Crossover Trading Strategy

Backtesting a EUR/USD Forex Trading Strategy Using MA Crossover

1. Introduction

In the ever-evolving world of forex trading, the efficacy of a strategy is not solely proven by its ability to generate profits, but also its resilience during challenging periods. The Moving Average (MA) crossover, a staple for many traders, can exhibit both profitable and loss phases. This article discusses the performance of this strategy during a not-so-favorable period on the EUR/USD pair.

2. Methodology

Data Selection

Symbol: EUR/USD

Testing Period: Spanning the first quarter of 2021, from January to March.

Timeframe: Daily

Strategy Description

Utilizing a swift 50-period MA juxtaposed with a lagging 200-period MA, the strategy identifies potential market momentum shifts, signaling traders when to enter or exit the market.

3. Backtesting Results

Testing Period: 01/01/2021 - 01/03/2021 (3 months)

Symbol: EUR/USD

Timeframe: Daily

Total Trades: 36

Profit Trades: 15

Loss Trades: 21

Max Profit Trade: $2,000

Max Loss Trade: $1,800

Initial Deposit: $10,000

Net Profit: -$900 (Representing a 9% loss)

Gross Profit: $18,000

Gross Loss: $18,900

Profit per Month: -$300

Average Profitability per Month: -3%

Average Profit per Trade: $1,200

Average Loss per Trade: $900

Profit-to-Loss Ratio: 1.33

Max Drawdown: $2,500

Profit Factor: 95%

Return: -9%

Max Lot Per Trade Used: 2.00

Restoration Factor: 0.36

Reliability Factor: 41.67%

Profit Probability: 41.67%

Loss Probability: 58.33%

Performance Metrics:

Of the 36 trades conducted, 15 were profitable while 21 resulted in losses.

The net outcome was a decline of 9% over the three-month period.

Profits and Losses:

From an initial deposit of $10,000, the strategy resulted in a net loss of $900, with the most profitable trade netting $2,000 and the largest loss at $1,800.

4. Analysis of Results


Despite the overall loss, the strategy had periods of success, as seen with a max profit trade of $2,000.


The reliability factor of 41.67% suggests that the strategy might require further refinement. A loss probability of 58.33% calls for careful risk management.

5. Potential Improvements and Recommendations

Given the performance, integrating additional indicators like Stochastic Oscillator or MACD might help improve entry and exit signals. Moreover, a more stringent risk management system, including setting tighter stop-losses, could curb potential losses.

6. Conclusion

The MA crossover strategy's performance on the EUR/USD during these three months underscores the fact that no strategy is foolproof. It serves as a reminder of the volatile nature of forex markets and emphasizes the importance of continuous strategy evaluation and refinement.

Disclaimer: Past performance of any trading strategy or system is not necessarily indicative of future results. The hypothetical backtested results presented here are illustrative and should not be used as a concrete indicator of future earnings. Always approach trading strategies with caution, thorough research, and, if possible, seek advice from financial professionals.


Get a Free Trial

Log in to download the program instantly.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Thank you for requesting the demo!

We have sent you a link to the provided email

Please be aware that the message could possibly be filtered into your spam folder.

Thank you, your authorization was successful.

Please use your PC to download the free trial.

Free download

Thank you for Downloading!

While Forex Tester is loading on your computer, let's start by reviewing the initial guide:

Start easy

If the download hasn't begun, please click
"Retry download".